Anorexia Treatment in Nashville
The term anorexia describes self-starvation and lack of appetite. Treatment is critical to help the individual get healthy, and back to a normal functioning relationship with food. At our anorexia treatment in Nashville, Tennessee, we understand that admitting to a problem can be a terrifying prospect, but we can assure you our team is ready and willing to provide support and care to get them through this and help them on the road to recovery.
Get Treatment for Anorexia Today
What Causes Anorexia?
This eating disorder is based on genetic predisposition, personality traits, and environmental factors.
Examples of environmental factors:
- The effects of the thinness culture in media
- Professions and careers that promote being thin
- Relationship insecurity
- Family pressure
- Peer pressure among friends and co-workers to be thin
Examples of biological factors:
- Irregular hormone functions
- Genetic predisposition
What Are Signs/Symptoms of Anorexia?
- Chronic and ongoing restrictive eating or dieting
- Rapid weight loss, being underweight relevant to height and size
- Fixation with food, ingredients, caloric counts, fat content etc.
- Withdrawing from social settings and personal relationships
- Amenorrhea: an abnormal absence of menstruation
- Depression or lethargy
- May demonstrate an obsession with what others are eating, or food that they see, but don’t partake in
- Gaunt, unhealthy appearance
- Loss or thinning of hair
- Engaging in ritualistic eating patterns, such as cutting food into tiny pieces, eating alone, and/or hiding food
- Constantly feeling cold
- Practicing food rituals, like weighing portions, counting items, cutting food into tiny pieces
- Impaired cognitive function as a result of the effects of starvation on the brain
If these behaviors and characteristics are demonstrated by you or your loved one, it is very important to seek treatment. Here at JourneyPure’s anorexia treatment in Nashville, we are ready to provide you with support and a specific plan for your individual, unique needs.
What Is Anorexia Treatment In Nashville, Tennessee?
Our Nashville anorexia treatment program seeks to heal the entire individual, not just their disordered eating. There are three components to effective anorexia treatment.
- Medical– Addressing the medical component in the treatment of anorexia nervosa is critical and primary. Serious health issues affect those who suffer from anorexia. Malnutrition, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, abnormal heart function, hormone issues (absence of menstrual cycle ), can all result from disordered eating. The patient is treated for any of these issues that they present, and are made medically stable before undergoing any further stress or transition.
- Nutritional–The nutritional component focuses on the psychological and physiological aspects of eating. This includes establishing healthy eating practices, like mindfulness (as it applies to eating), meal planning, and establishing routine mealtimes. The patient gains a clinical understanding of food, and how the body benefits with its healthy preparation and consumption.
- Therapeutic– Therapy helps a patient to recognize the underlying issues associated with the eating disorder. Trauma, emotional distress, self-hate, and low self-esteem are all catalysts for this disease, and the patient will have a much better chance at long-term recovery if these issues are dealt with. Meal process groups help to explore the emotions that one experiences with eating, and how to work through them. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is also a beneficial modality. It deals with the negative self-talk, and preconceived ideas that one has about themselves, that may be unfounded or untrue. Trauma therapy is often used as well since past traumatic experiences can be an underlying factor to this eating disorder.
Patients will have a better chance at long-term success if they maintain some components of their treatment as they move back into regular life. Ongoing individual therapy, family therapy, and support groups are all effective ways of keeping someone on a continued path of recovery. Continuing mastery of CBT and DBT practices are also beneficial and can be referred by our professional team here at our anorexia treatment in Nashville Tennessee.
Get Help Today JourneyPure’s Anorexia Treatment in Nashville, TN
Here at JourneyPure’s anorexia treatment program in Nashville, Tennessee, we understand the pain and suffering that anorexia nervosa can bring to a person, and to those people that love them. It is difficult and confusing to watch someone starve themselves to the brink of death. We seek to heal the underlying cause of this disease and to help the family unit navigate it together. People with anorexia are not alone, and treatment is both effective and available.
So if you are struggling with this form of eating disorder, do not wait, call our anorexia treatment in Nashville today and learn how we can help you take the proper steps needed to effectively and professional treat anorexia.