Group therapy is sometimes used as a stand-alone but is more often integrated into a comprehensive treatment plan that may also include individual therapy, behavioral therapies, etc. Here at our group addiction therapy in Nashville, Tennessee, it is lead by specially trained and certified therapists who have experience in helping people make significant changes within a group setting. JourneyPure’s group addiction therapy offers a safe place, this neutral setting allows people to communicate, listen and engage with the safety and security of the group.
Get the Help You Deserve Today
How Does Group Addiction Therapy Work?
JourneyPure’s Nashville group addiction therapy program works by allowing the individual to learn, grow, and heal, by experiencing the support, and learning opportunities that the group provides. The therapist observes the way the individual functions within a group and can see first-hand how each person responds to other group members and behaves in social situations. Using this information, the therapist can perform an individualized assessment, of areas of success, and other areas that may need more input or development. In addition to direction from the therapist, group addiction therapy allows people to receive the support and encouragement of the other members of the group. People participating in the group can see that others are going through the same experiences, which can help them feel less alone. Here in Nashville, group members can serve as a positive peer influence to other members. This role modeling can involve a struggling individual, observing someone successfully coping with a problem, and learn techniques or skills from them. Often times individuals feel more aligned with the advice, and the image set by their peers which feels relatable and attainable, rather than their therapists, who may seem to function on a different plane. As each person progresses, they can, in turn, serve as a role model and support figure for others. This can help foster feelings of success and accomplishment.
How Do I Know If Group Addiction Therapy Is Right For Me or My Loved One?
- You struggle with opening up and sharing your experiences
- You feel intimidated by the notion of being alone with a therapist
- You have a substance abuse problem
- You have suffered trauma
- You suffer from a mental health or mood disorder
- You feel stuck, overwhelmed or anxious
- You don’t have any friends in recovery or wish to establish a recovery network
What Are The Benefits Of Group Addiction Therapy In Nashville?
- It allows people to receive support and encouragement from other members of the group
- Participants can see others having the same, or similar experiences
- Participants serve as role models
- Individuals can derive hope from the successes of others
- They can see the different stages of recovery within their group
- They can share information, strategies and coping mechanisms
- Develop socialization techniques
- Experience group cohesiveness, as the group is working towards a common goal.
- Catharsis, members will be able to process feelings, share thoughts, and begin to heal.
- Relief of pain, guilt, and shame
- Gain a network of support
- Learn new skills
- Develop a sense of belonging
A Nashville, TN group addiction therapy program is an ideal introduction to psychotherapy. It can be intimidating at first, especially if the individual is joining a well-established group, is new to therapy, or has some difficult issues to share. The individual can begin by observing the other members of the group, and get a feel for the process and dynamic. They can “tune in” to how the therapist conducts themselves, and what expectations are set for the individual as they function within the group. Poor behavior won’t be tolerated, or well received, in the group setting. The positive peer influence that exists will prevent or reduce negative contributions. If this occurs the therapist is there to intervene and provide alternative solutions. The group members can be coached on how to work through those experiences and develop skills to resolve a conflict.
Recovering Through Our Group Addiction Therapy in Nashville, TN
Long-term solutions can be found in the group setting as well. Relationships are formed early on in someone’s recovery here at JourneyPure, that will progress with them through time. These connections can be lifesaving, as each individual will experience stress and difficulties at different times, and it is up to the other members to help keep each other afloat. They will witness the failings, relapses, and deaths of their co-members, these will be painful learning experiences too, an unfortunate and unavoidable part of the process. There is strength in numbers, and individuals who participate in our group addiction therapy in Nashville, Tennessee will have others to walk this journey with.