Trauma is defined as “A deeply distressing or disturbing experience” or even more accurately in our field as “An emotional shock following a stressful event or a physical injury, which may be associated with physical shock and sometimes lead to long-term neurosis”. Overcoming trauma through trauma-informed care is a critical step in the recovery from substance abuse.
Get Treatment for Your Trauma Today
60% of women and 50% of men will experience trauma in their lifetime. Someone who has suffered a significant traumatic event may suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a difficult, long-term for of trauma PTSD. While these definitions are very true, we also understand that trauma can look different to everyone, and may not occur in one instance or event. Simply put, trauma is an emotional response. At JourneyPure’s trauma-informed care in Nashville, Tennessee, we recognize the nuances of trauma and understand that some trauma can be developed over time, after months and even years of abuse and/or distress. In all of these instances, the emotional stress exceeds one’s ability to cope, or process and deal with the emotions that are developed. Many of the signs and symptoms of trauma are similar to other psychiatric illnesses and mood disorders.
Feelings such as:
Living with these symptoms can make life very challenging, and drugs and alcohol are frequently used to mask or suppress these emotions. With the frequency and/or intensity, left untreated or addressed, addiction can develop. Almost 75% of individuals who seek out treatment for substance abuse have endured some type of trauma, and individuals who have suffered sexual abuse are 3 times as likely to abuse drugs or alcohol.
People who struggle with addiction can develop trauma through their experiences while in active use. They may witness violence while engaging in risky, or illegal behavior. They may be sexually assaulted, or engage in sexual activity that they under normal circumstances would not, or is driven by seeking drugs or alcohol. The individual may have lost custody of their children, or experience a loss of relationships, personal possessions, family homes, and freedom, all because of their addiction. Individuals who have engaged in long-term substance abuse will lose their ability to cope with traumatic or difficult situations because of the cognitive impairment that the brain is experiencing. Trauma and addiction feed off of one another, so it is critical for both to be addressed and treated, and we seek to provide you with that care at our facility in Nashville.
What To Expect In Trauma-Informed Care In Nashville, Tennessee?
Trauma-informed care is described as a treatment approach grounded in the understanding of the individual’s responsiveness to the impact of trauma. At JourneyPure we place emphasis on the physical and emotional safety of the survivor, providing an opportunity to rebuild an individual’s control and empowerment. Therapists who work in trauma-informed care understand what trauma is, and the effects that it has on the individuals perspective and behaviors. Through the different treatment applications, the therapist will assess the best course of action, and develop the most effective treatment plan utilizing the following modalities of trauma-informed care
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- 12 step meetings
- Medication appropriate to the individual
What Are The Components Of A Trauma-Informed Care Program
- It is a program that promotes resilience and recovery
- It is based on the individual’s ability to find strength in themselves and persevere
- There is an emphasis placed on physical and emotional safety
- There is value placed on positive change and transformation
- The therapist develops a deep understanding of triggers and reactions
- This therapy specifically recognizes how trauma has impacted the victim’s life
- There are constant assessment and adjustment to the therapies provided
The Specific Principles Of Trauma-Informed Care
- Safety – Care given to both physical and emotional safety; do no further harm. This also involves providing safe and welcoming spaces for group and individual therapy.
- Trustworthiness And Transparency – Creating, establishing and maintaining respectful boundaries
- Choice – Patients are given clear information regarding their rights and choices in regards to their treatment, rights, and responsibilities.
- Collaboration – Individuals are given a primary role in their participation and direction of treatment
- Empowerment – The individual is provided with an atmosphere that allows them to feel supported, and validated while engaging in this therapy.
What Are The Benefits Of JourneyPure’s Trauma-Informed Care?
- The trauma is dealt with
- Patient develops an increased appreciation of life
- Patient enjoys an overall improved quality of life
- They see new potential and possibilities
- They enjoy new found strength
- They experience a spiritual change and outlook
Get Help Today Through Our Trauma-Informed Care In Nashville, Tennessee
Here at our trauma-informed care in Nashville, Tennessee, it is our hope that with treatment for both the patient’s substance abuse issues, and trauma, the individual will begin to have a different emotional experience, that their symptoms are alleviated, and that they find the strength to continue their journey to healing themselves.
Living with trauma can be extremely painful, and possibly even send several people into a deadly tailspin. Thankfully, many people choose to obtain treatment for the effects the traumatic event/events caused for them, however, that does not mean that they are no longer sensitive to what they have experienced. Trauma-informed care ensures that everyone connected to organizations are trained in trauma-informed care so that they can follow the four R’s and maintain the six principles in an effort to support those who have been traumatized.
There is no better time to get help than right now. If you are struggling with the effects of trauma, reach out to our trauma-informed care in Nashville, Tennessee for help today.